20.7 C
São Paulo
Friday, June 21, 2024
HomeEuropePortugalJust arrived? See the 3 fundamental documents to live in Portugal

Just arrived? See the 3 fundamental documents to live in Portugal

Follow us on Google News

That dream planned for so long has finally come true! Now there are so many new things to see, foods to try, and places to “tourist”, aren’t there? But…outside of the “stories”, there is a lot of red tape and paperwork to sort out! Calm down, don’t be alarmed, it was with this in mind that we listed the 3 fundamental documents to live in Portugal.

Getting the right documentation will make your life in the Lusitanian country much easier, and is one of the first things you need to take care of when you arrive in your new home!

So let’s get to the point, get to know the 3 fundamental documents to live in Portugal:

1 – NIF: What is it and where to apply for it?

The NIF, also known as the taxpayer number, would be the equivalent of the CPF in Brazil. In Portugal, it is very important for financial transactions, as well as being required for renting property (or leasing, as they call it in Portugal), connecting electricity and water, contracting the Internet, among others.

You can request yours by accessing the Portuguese Finance website (AT – Autoridade Tributária e Aduaneira), or go to one of the Lojas do Cidadão (Citizens’ Shops).

2 – NISS: What is it and where to apply?

The Social Security Identification Number (NISS) may depend on an employment contract. In this case, the NISS needs to be requested by the hiring company and the foreigner does not need to do anything.

Who wants to work in Portugal, and doesn’t have the NISS, can ask for the “NISS on the Spot”. As for the self-employed (who have opened a self-employed activity with the IRS), they should request it via e-mail: [email protected]. See all the details here.

Legal entities (companies) do not need to request the NISS. When they register in the commercial register, the Tax and Customs Authority (AT) communicates automatically and free of charge to the Social Security and the company is assigned a NISS.

3 – User Number: What is it and where to request it?

The ” Número de Utente ” allows foreigners to access all the services of the National Health System (SNS) in Portugal. It proves the identity of its holder, for the integrated institutions and services of the NHS. With the Número de Utente it is possible to have a “family doctor” from the Health Centers.

The issue of the User Number is free and can be requested at the Lojas do Cidadão (Citizen’s Shops) or at the Health Centers. You need to present your Residence Permit and the issue is free of charge.

Now that you know what the main documents to have a good experience in Portugal are, how about continuing browsing our content and finding out more news?

Redação UBE
Redação UBEhttps://umaboaexperiencia.com
Somos uma equipe apaixonada por boas experiências ao redor do mundo. Acreditamos que uma boa experiência não se define por preço ou exclusividade, mas sim como você se sente vivendo esse momento.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest posts